1. I love a great make ahead dish and this makes the house smell amazing.
2. The combo of citrus and chiles with pork is just heavenly and on a bed of creamy rich polenta
Pre-heat oven to 325
1 pork loin
2 oranges cut into wedges
1 grapfruit cut in wedges
2 guijallo chiles dried – these are amazing sweet berry smoky flavor
1/2 bottle ginger beer
1 onion cut into slices
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
6 cloves garlic whole
1. Season your pork loin with Salt and pepper.
2. Over medium high add a splash of oil to a dutch oven and add you pork onions.
3. Sear pork for 5 minutes.
4. Flip add the chiles , jalapeño, garlic cloves, grapefruit, oranges ,ginger beer and vinegar.
5. Make sure everything is evenly distributed and drizzle with pomegranate molasses- This is an amazing ingredient and I suggest in buying a bottle – a little goes a long way – it has an almost tamarind citrus vibe – tart sweet -like a sour patch kid.
6.Bring liquid to a healthy simmer cover and put in the oven for 2 hours.
1 cup fine corn meal
4 cups chicken stock
½ stick butter
1/4 cup mascarpone
1. This might seem like a pain in the butt, but it is really worth it also, it’s a great work out- so it’s a net even on the calorie counter.
2. In a medium Saucepan add your chicken stock – so listen we all know its wonderful to have your own stock and sometimes I do – but other times I don’t have the time so like today we are using lovely stock I bought at the market. Make sure to taste any stock you use.
3. Bring the stock to a healthy simmer, begin to slowly add the polenta- making sure to whisk vigorously while adding the corn meal – once you have whisked everything in, lower heat and stir. Cover and let cook for another few minutes.
4. This is a great time to pull your pork out of the oven and let it sit on the counter for a second.
5. I like to have a sharp green to go with something as rich as pork and polenta. Think about it as a contrasting flavor that acts as a highlight to richness of the pork and polenta.
6. The green I am using is dandelion – I love to tart bright taste – plus it always a conversation starter.
Serve Family Style