1 chicken spatchcocked
stick soft unsalted butter
¼ cup minced parsley
¼ cup minced dill
1 teaspoon salt
1 lemon sliced
Several sprigs fresh thyme
1.Preheat oven to 425 –
2. Remove bird from fridge 30 minutes before you plan on cooking. An ice cold bird will not cook as evenly.
3. Lets talk about what spatchcocking a bird is – its removing the back bone and flattening the bird. It allows for the bird to cook more evenly and the presentation is fantastic.
4. This is a great use of your butcher – just ask them to spatchcock the bird unless you are feeling adventurous and do it yourself. You can do this the night before.
5. In a small bowl combine butter herbs and salt. With your fingers loosen the skin under the breast. Now take half of the herbed butter and evenly spread on the breast taking care to not rip the skin. Do both sides.
6. Your hands will be a mess and use this mess to season the rest of the bird. Rub all over the bird. Season the underside of the bird with salt and pepper.
7. On a sheet pan lay out the sliced lemons. Lay the bird on top and season with a light sprinkle of salt and black pepper.
8. Cook for 45 minutes and let rest for 10 before serving.
9. Remove to a platter lined with fresh herbs – by resting the bird on the herbs it is infused with the flavor plus it looks gorgeous!